Samuel Ezell

"Great-great-great-grandpa Ezell"
Samuel Ezell.
Born between 1809 and 1815 in South Carolina.
Died after the 1880 census.
I think his parents may have been Ephraim and Martha Ezell.

"Great-great-great-grandma Ezell"
I have not been able to find out what her name was.
I think she may have died between 1840 and 1860, when her family was still young.

Based on the 1840 census for Spartanburg, South Carolina, my speculation is that they were married some time before 1840. Census records prior to 1850 did not list family members' names... only the head of the household and how many males and females in each age bracket.

1840. Spartanburg, South Carolina.
Sam'l Easel
1 male 20-30
1 female 20-30
I have been unable to find the census record for this family for 1850. I suspect they lived in Georgia in 1850, as the 1860 census records indicate that children were born in Georgia in about 1848 and 1850.


1860. Sugar Valley, Gordon County, Georgia.
Samuel Israel, age 43, farmer, born in South Carolina, cannot read or write.
Peter, age 12, born in Georgia.
Isaac, age 10, born in Georgia.
Samuel, age 9, born in Georgia.
Jacob, age 7, born in Georgia.
Mary, age 6, born in Georgia.
John, age 4, born in Georgia.
Ephraim Israel, age 90, born in South Carolina, pauper.
Martha, age 70, born in South Carolina, pauper.
Again, speculating... I think Samuel was widowed by this time, but his aged and poverty-stricken parents (Ephraim and Martha) lived with him and his children. I have no proof that Ephriam and Martha were his parents, but it seems logical, since they were living with him.

I also think that the census taker had no idea how to spell "Ezell" and it sounded like "Israel" to him, so that's what he wrote down!

Based on the 1870 census, it looks like Samuel married a lady named Hannah and had 3 more children with her between 1860 and 1870. (I have seen notes on the internet that Hannah's maiden name was Craft.) They moved to Alabama sometime in the late 1860s.
1870. Marion County, Alabama.
Ezell, Saml, age 61, farmer, born in South Carolina.
Hanah, age 44, keeping house, born in Georgia.
Isaac, age 22, laborer, born in Georgia.
Jacob, age 16, born in Georgia.
John, age 14, born in Georgia.
Daniel, age 9, born in Georgia.
Joel, age 7, born in Georgia.
Martha, age 4, born in Georgia.
Bailey, Abi, age 20, born in Georgia.
I wonder who Abi Bailey was? Maybe Hannah's sister? Probably not, if Hannah's maiden name was Craft. Or perhaps a hired girl?
1880. Winston County, Alabama.Ezell, Samuel, age 65, farmer, born in South Carolina
Hannah, age 53, wife, keeping house, born in Georgia
Daniel, age 18, son, at home, born in Georgia
Martha, age 14, daughter, at home, born in Georgia
Funny how Samuel is only 4 years older in 1880 than he was in 1870!